Sarinbuana Eco Lodge Community Sponsored Projects
- Football team for under 12 years - Coach, Equipment & Uniforms- every Mon & Thurs in the village
- Futsel Team for teenagers - Uniforms, Weekly court hire & Tournaments - evey week in Tabanan city
- Children's Balinese Dance Class - Every Sunday 1 -3pm in the bamboo Bale @ the lodge
- Sarinbuana Trekking Guide Association - monthly donations from our guests trekking in the rainforest IDR 25.000 per guest
- Tri Monthly rubbish pick up & disposal from 2 villages including: The school, warungs & any local person who wants to add– with 2 other neighboring hotels
- Monthly donation to our adat, IDR 10.000 per night from each guest who stays at the lodge- this money is given annually to the village commity- for temples repairs & community events.
Past sponsored projects & on going support…
- Tree planting in the Batukaru Rainforest ( current & seasonal)
- Student University scholarship - 4 years ( past) He is doing so well now, looking for a new sponsor - preferably for nursing training
- English class for under 12 years (past - we have held an english class weekly for many years, we hope to start this up again in 2015
- Bali Starling Bird Breeding project ( past, great project but our Starlings didnt breed here)
- School fund for maintenance ( past ) - would love to start this up again ASAP when the School Committee decides to focus on the school - ie: Teachers for every class, diet & hygene
- Sarinbuana Trekking Guide Association (current) - from our guest donations this association contributes to - monthly cut the grass at the school football field, make educational signs, improve pathways in the rainforest, donations to fix local roads, donations to village projects.
- Arjo – Spiritual Drama group (past, love to sponsor again, but this group is not active now)
Would you like to join us and sponsor 1 of our Village Projects?
On occasion we are asked by our guests how they could contribute to our community in a meaningful way.
There are so many ways you could help our local community, every donation whether it’s big or small will help to develop our community.
Why donate to a village project?
Many guests are worried that their donations to Foreign Aid organisations do not filter through to those in need, but are soaked up by administration and other costs.
Donating directly to a village project ensures your money is going directly to those in need.
You can keep in touch with your project now, and into the future…
Who benefits from your donation?
Our projects are designed to help both individuals and community groups.
These projects are not solely focused on economic returns, although this is important, they may also enhance the social, spiritual or creative aspects of our community.
Projects available for Sponsorship or Donation
Village Football Team
The lodge sponsors the Sarinbuana Tigers football team which meets 2 times a week at the school grounds.
We are always in need of help with:
- New balls, uniforms & equipment
- Funding for Football tournaments & excursions when needed.
- We are Happy to see 2 of our local boys who joined this sponsored project, become representatives to play Nationally now. Wow! Go Ari & Gantang!
Futsel Team (indoor Football)
2 years sponsoring our local Futsel team for 16 yrs and over, they play every Sunday afternoon in our local town of Tabanan.
Donations go towards Tournaments, Uniforms & Weekly court hire fees
Since 2011 we have:
- Bought a water tank, and connected water to the toilets
- Paid for a daily school cleaner
- Fixed broken windows
- Supplied soaps and cleaning equipment
- Painted the interior of class 1, 2 & 3
- Made a school sign at the entrance
- Fixed up and painted the classroom for English classes
- Provided educational resources – text books
- Offered to pay for a new teacher for class 1, local politics & the school do not allow for us to help here sadly.
Sponsor a scholarship for a local student to attend University
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge is currently looking for a new Young adult to Sponsor
In 2013 we finished sponsoring 22 year old Suara Yasa, to attend University in Denpasar Bali.
Suara started his first year at University on Aug 09 studying to be an Architect. Suara has done very well and graduated in Oct 2013. He is now designing for both locals & foreigners - earning pretty decent money.
Tree planting in the Batukaru Rainforest
Would you like to make a 1 off donation to our tree planting scheme?
The price per tree is Rp 35,000 / USD$3.50 including planting & maintenance
Rp 105.000/ USD$10 = 3 trees
Our focus is on replanting native fruiting trees inside the Batukaru Rainforest to increase food resources for wildlife and to reforest eroded steep areas.
Trekking Guide Association Fund
For every guest walking in the Batukaru rainforest a donation of IDR 25.000 is given to the STGA
The Sarinbuana Trekking Guide Association will use your donation to:
- Improve pathways to the top of the mountain
- Pick up rubbish on the trail and dispose of it at the local landfill
- To improve educational signage
- To donate to community functions & project
- To improve facilities at the local school
- To improve local roads
- To maintain the school football grounds each month
- To invest in local enterprises
Past Sponsored projects
English Class for local children aged 5-12 years
The Lodge has implimented weekly English classes for village children for over 8 years. ‘Learning english dramatically improves work prospects for young people seeking alternative careers to farming’
Silat Class (Martial art of Indonesia)
The Silat Group receiving achievement awards at regional finals
The lodge has sponsored the Silat class from April 2009 - 2012 , it had been over 15 years since Silat was taught in our village. Our school didn’t have any extra curricular activities before we started our 3 sponsored classes. We were happy to support this group for 4 years, which met twice a week for 2 hours of practice followed by silent meditation.
Many of our students have now grown up and left the school , We hope to reintroduce this class in 2015 if there is interest again from our village.
Bali Starling Breeding project
Bali Starlings, once common in Bali, are now one of the World’s rarest birds. Except for a small, and closely guarded, population in West Bali & 60 odd birds, which have recently been released on Nusa Penida Island.
The most successful Bali Starling breeding program, is privately funded by the Gardner family, under the auspices of the Begawan Foundation.
We were honored to have our pair of Bali Starlings for a year, unfortunately they did not breed, indicating our climate was not suitable for them here. We now wait for our new pair of Parrots to breed for release into the Batukaru Rainforest.
Spiritual dramatic arts group (Arja) - currently this group is not active (2014)
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge sponsored the vilage Arja. The costumes for this elaborate performance are very expensive & need to be hired for performances. This group is not active now in 2014.
How to Donate
You can donate to any of the above projects during your stay at the lodge.
Past donations from guest have enabled us to:
- Buy 5 mountain bikes and start a business for our local guides
- Make an educational sign highlighting the Flora & Fauna of the Batukaru Rainforest
- Plant over 600 trees in the Batukaru Rainforest
- Over 300 new children’s books for our English classes & libary
- Give a contribution to a local youth studying to become an architect
- School improvements
- 2 New sewing machines to Ibu Russi, who now has a business making clothes with other local women helping also.
Community Aid projects
Over the last 14 years Sarinbuana Eco Lodge has raised over US$ 80,000 through: The Sarinbuana Trekking Guide Association, Guest Donations, AUS aid & Seacology grants to benefit our local community and implemented the protection of 800 hectares of neighbouring Rainforest, protecting the Sarinbuana Rainforest Mt Batukaru, Tabanan Bali.
Thanks to Seacology, Norm and Linda vant Hoff, and the village leaders of Sarinbuana, 800 hectares of rainforest are now under protection in Mt Batukaru, Tabanan Bali.
Seacology, based in Berkley California USA have several projects around the world exchanging environmental stewardship of important natural areas in exchange for money to be used by the neighboring community for community based projects.
The area under protection is called a “NO take zone” which means no person can harvest, gather, hunt or cut down trees within the boundaries of the agreement. Signs educating locals of the new agreement have been posted at the entrance to the rainforest, and it is hoped that locals will gain alternative economic & social rewards by supporting Ecotourism.
The Mt Batukaru rainforest is the largest rainforest in Bali and one of only 2 remaining rainforests. You can support the local economy by taking a guided rainforest walk from Sarinbuana Eco lodge (Rp 50,000 per hour) and help locals to see that Eco money is more sustainable than catching birds & butterflies.